Thursday, June 4, 2009

Our Mutual Friend

It has been several years since I last read Our Mutual Friend, so when I began watching the BBC's 1997 adaptation I was mightily surprised to find that the images of the places and people Dickens had described to me, so very long ago, have actually survived intact. Perhaps it's these lasting impressions (I still intimately remember, for example, my imagined layout for the house and shed in Blyton's Secret Seven books) that mark out a novel as being great. That's all I have to say on that, really, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Here's a brief list of some of the other memorable places in my past reading:

Fenchurch's small house in Islington, in Douglas Adams: So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish.
The Castle, in Enid Blyton: Five On Kirrin Island.
Red Roofs, in Enid Blyton: The Family at Red Roofs.
Churchyard, in J. Meade Falkner: Moonfleet.
The Piggies' forest, in Orson Scott Card: Speaker for the Dead.


No comments:

Post a Comment